Re: RE: Dak Grief

From: John (kemkerj@xyzzy.net)
Date: Tue Oct 13 1998 - 15:54:52 EDT

I just got home from the body shop.

My Dak is DOA. The frame has "diamonded" and the right front frame
horn has deflected by over six inches. The estimate by the body shop
is in the $8000 to $9000 range. I would have had the Dak two months
on Thursday. I even had mileage left on the drivetrain warranty
that I spent $150 to have transferred to my name.

The other driver hadn't had his insurance as long as I'd had the
Dak. They hadn't issued a policy number, yet. Because of that,
I was having my insurance company handle the claim and then pass the
cost on to his insurance company.

I've learned quite a bit from my friend that owns the body shop:

1) Never let them take your totalled vehicle away until you
        have the check in hand.
2) Get as many pieces of evidence for replacement value that you
        can. Get a "Truck Trader" or equivalent for your area and
        hunt down all the similar vehicles and average them. Go
        through the classifieds and clip ads.
3) Include the cost of *all* your mods, etc. If you've had
        any aftermarket stuff added, like a stereo amplifier or
        CB or Amateur Radioes, they owe you for deinstallation
        and installation of the units into another vehicle. If
        necessary, get quotes from reputable installers. (My two
        ham radioes stay with me, not the Dak.)
4) *AFTER* you've worked them as best as you can on the value
        of the vehicle, *THEN* spring the cost of tax, tag and title
        on them. They owe you for those, also.

Anybody have any other lessons I can use for this ordeal? Right now,
I'm in a minor disagreement with my wife over whether to replace with
another Dak (*MY* choice!) or to replace with a van/minivan that seats
at least six (*HER* choice). Since she's pregnant with number 4, she
makes a *very* strong argument for the van approach.

--John K.
  Dak Owner August 15, 1998 to October 13, 1998