Re: Another reason

From: Elmer Hanhart (hanharte@SWBell.net)
Date: Sat Oct 17 1998 - 00:39:55 EDT

Chris lang wrote:

> I think Chrysler is following the market trend at the moment most of their
> sales come from TRUCKS not cars the same with the other two of the big
> three. The Dakota RT is there attempt at the new type of "pony car" or
> "pony truck" if you want to call it that. It is their attempt to sell more
> trucks, isn't the pony car market dying as we speek? Chevy is considering
> killing the camero, that has to mean something about the market? And where
> else can you find a 318 or 360 in a non full-size truck???? Chrysler is
> doing a good job if you ask me....
>
> Chris
>
> >> Chrysler has in some ways forgotten their biggest fans and failed to
> >> cultivate the young ones (as you say). Maybe their new alliance
> with
> >> Mercedes will bring about a turnaround in this thinking. Just
> imagine
> >> a rear drive pony car! I'll believe it when I see it.
> >

> > That'd be sweet. Yeah, I agree; an auto manufacturer really does need
> >"street fighter" that'll attract the young 'uns, build brand loyalty, and
> just
> >be a visible icon of power & speed in general. Even if you don't make as
> much
> >money on 'em, or maybe you could be using the facilities to build a more
> >profitable vehicle. (i.e. Camaro) I don't think the overall impact of the
> >pony car is appreciated by the big 3.
> >
> > Dak content: I've got a pony car with a really big trunk. :-)
> >
> > -Jon-
> >
> > .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu ----------------------------------------.
> > | Jon Steiger * AOPA, DoD, EAA, MP Race Team, NMA, SPA, USUA * RP-SEL |
> > | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.77@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |
> > `--------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'

I've got a buddy that I used to work w/, that has a 1997 neon(i think).
It is a 2 door w/ the DOHC and 5spd, he has a header, cat-back, air
intake(kinda like an Airaid), and a computer upgrade. I have been w/ him
when he beat a brand new 4.6 Rustang(auto, stock I think). It is a quick
little car, and except for the torque steer, a pleasure to drive. I
wouldn't buy one myself, but I think they are they closest thing to a
pony "car" Chrysler has (not including Prowler/Viper). I can hear it now
" Uh, somethings wrong w/ my mustang (owner)", "why (service advisor)",
"I got beat by a Neon last night"!