Re: Psychotic Radiator

From: RLewis7785@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 16 1998 - 10:17:41 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/98 8:33:57 AM Central Daylight Time,
JLewis@sharetech.com writes:

<< It sounds like it's somewhere up top and only when your engine gets hot
 (thus the spraying). It's probably a small hole in a hose or something
 that is only visible *while* it's spraying. Maybe it's at a connection
 site where it's so hot the fluid evaporates so it doesn't look like a
 leak. If so that's just Murphy playing with you. He loves his job.

 -Jodi
 jlewis@sharetech.com
 '98 Dakota Sport >>

I had what sounds like the exact same type of problem - Extremely
intermittant.

Anyway - turned out to be a crack in the flange where the plastic top is
crimped to the core. Along the edges of the plastic top you see the metal
fingers that are crimped down to catch the top. If you follow those around
underneath ( I had to use a mirror) to the underside of the flat surface the
top sits on, there was a 4-6" long crack in the metal flange. New Radiator
(plastic tanks and all $220).

For the water pump, crawl under the truck with a light and look at the pump
housing right behind the pulley - a leakink pump will almost always have a
rust colored or green water mark ther from the coolant evaporating.

For other leaks, look for the residue from evaporating coolant (usually rust
colored or greenish yellow). I found mine by finding a water mark where the
coolant had dripped onto the fan shroud and evaporated. The fan makes this
difficult because it sprays the stuff all over, but look for suspicious spots
where the fan couldn't have possibly gotten coolant.

Good Luck

Richard Lewis
92 LE CC, 318, Auto