Sorry about hitting on a well discussed topic. (MPG)

From: Glen Yakemchuk (yakem@unbc.ca)
Date: Tue Oct 20 1998 - 01:16:19 EDT

Hi, I am new to posting to this group and was looking for some ideas on how
to improve (mileage or performance with the close to the same mileage).
All I know right now, is that no matter what I put in for gas (regular
unleaded / Super unleaded) or how easy I am on the petal it burns the same.
I guess I was wondering if this was normal for a dakota V8, and from the
response I got, I shouldn't complain too much about what I get. Was
wondering if a K&N filter would help??

   Nuff said about that, but I am having a couple of annoyances with my
truck. Here is some background info on the truck 91 DAK w/318, auto, 4x4
and is stock, also has 220,000km on it.

First problem is at about 120km there is a rear drive line shimmy. I have
replace both u-joint and also played with axle shims to correct the problem.
Now I am getting closer the vibration is now only showing up in the coast
side between 110-130km. My question is, has anyone else experienced this
problem with aluminum driveshafts, and maybe possible solutions. My next
step is to remove the shims, I was trying to follow the service manual on
this repair and what could fix it and the book recommended shims. I am
hoping the shims are causing the vibration now. (Note: I did install the
shims before I found out that the front u-joint had a couple broken needle
bearings, silly me! I had the u-joint replaced when I bought the truck and
thought it was still ok.) This problem has plagued me since I got the
truck (2 years ago) so I am open to ideas.

Also bringing up the topic of going easy on the throttle, my tranny does
the 1-2 shift fine, but the 2-3 shift it seems to lose power up a slight
incline , I think what is happening is that it does a 2-4 jump instead of
2-3, then 4. Am I on the right track???

I appreciate any ideas, suggestions offered. Also it is good to see such a
loyal following for an excellent p/u.

Glen