3.9L Questions Again

From: Jim Dille (jdille@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 21 1998 - 07:44:54 EDT

(I posted this earlier, but sent it to the wrong address ... here it
is again.)

Hello DML! I'm a new subscriber and need your advice:

I have a '93 Dak with the 3.9L (Magnum) & 5-speed; 54K miles. It was
fed cheap gas for the first half of it's life and now it pings
(pre-ignition) like crazy if it gets anything less than 92 octane.
Also, there's a rattling noise from somewhere in the valvetrain (I
think) between 2000-3200 RPM. This goes away with increasing RPM. I've
been told this is all caused by carbon buildup on the pistons and
valves.

Questions:
How can I make the pinging go away without tearing the heads off and
cleaning out the carbon? I've tried a couple of those
"de-carbonizers", but they only offer temporary relief; 3K miles or so.

Would a high-output ignition system, like Holley's Annihilator and
Lasershot 'Street' coil help?

Does anybody know where I can get go-fast goodies (cam, headers) for
this engine? If I have to tear it down, I may as well put some goodies
in it.

Hot Flash:
Want to lower yer Dak? Belltech (Summit Racing; 1-800-230-3030) has
spindles, springs, shocks and other stuff to take it way down ... the
RIGHT way.
My '93 has been dropped 3" front, 2" rear, and has a rear swaybar
added. Looks cool and handles GREAT!

Thanks for any help you can offer. And thanks for a way-overdue Website!

- Jim D.
  Cincinnati, OH