RE: o2 sensor info

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 19:37:35 EDT

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Bridges, Bruce wrote:

> Jon,
> Check out Martin's posted web address
> (www.eskimo.com/~dalus/bmw/all/engine/all_o2sensor.html) for the O2
> conversion data! A great tech discussion by SAE guys on 02 sensor voltage
> as it relates to A/F as well as maintenance and testing!

   Doh! I'm an idiot. :-)

  I've been reading so many O2 sensor pages lately that I started
reading this one and I thought it was one that I had read previously
so I went on to other things. I didn't check out the discussion
on the bottom. Thanks for pointing that out!!

  For anyone who's interested, it appears as though the air/fuel
ratio cannot be determined by a normal O2 sensor, as they are
non-linear and generally not accurate enough. Basically, they
can tell lean/rich only. (> 450mv is rich, < 450mv is lean).

   There *are* O2 sensors which can be used to compute the actual
ratio, but they cost hundreds of dollars.

  Oh well. :-(

  (All that is stated at the very bottom, in the last post,
though there are great tidbits throughout the page.)

                                              -Jon-