Re[8]: The Good News about MPG...

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Thu Oct 22 1998 - 22:35:00 EDT

>I've got the 31x10.5 Goodyears (stock)... With this SBEC you have to run
higher
>octane gas, no?
>
>Thanks.
>
>T.

<<Yeah, the SBEC requires 92 or 93 octane. Hmm....I thought you might have
taller tires than that, cause taller/wider tires increase rolling resitence
and usually decreases fuel mileage. Your mileage should be comparable to
others with the same setup - don't know if it is comparable with other 4 x
4's or not.

What was your mileage again?
Still thinking about your problem.....>>

Bummer, I was kinda hoping you'd say, "with those big ass tires your mileage
will be lower." :( Oh well, I have some more bad news as far as tires go...
from what I've read you can safely pump l/t tires 10psi over what's on the
sidewall for better fuel economy/high speed travel.... I've done this and there
is no change in my MPG. My stats are:

Best(highway): 14.93MPG @ 1,284 miles.
Worst: 9.29MPG @ 2,163 miles. (I may throw this out as I might have
been 4wheeling (don't remember)...

Average after 7,397 miles, 604.218 gallons of gas! = 12.24MPG

Thanks for any and all suggestions (short of getting a V6, *DOH* :-)!

T.