Re: RE: Jules...Gone...

From: Andre Mauboussin (andrem@cyberramp.net)
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 00:00:47 EDT

John wrote:

> Let me cut to the chase, here: Jules has apologized to DML and
> all members for losing his temper and lashing out. Maybe we could
> drop the thread?

I read his apology. I doubt it is sincere, probably motivated by fear of
building reprisal from the list(can you say loss of $$$). However, I will
give him the opportunity to redeem himself. Let's wait and see.

> In all fairness, I have seen people make changes to something and then
> be disappointed because they *think* it got worse. Often, however, the
> changes aren't at fault, but some other factor came into play. The
> change, however, gets the blame. This occurs quite often in computers.
> I remember many times where a change was made to a running system and
> someone goes into knee-jerk reaction when one of their *TOTALLY
> UNRELATED*
> pieces of software goes bad right afterwards. The change, however
> small and innocuous, gets the blame.
>
> Having been a certified automotive engine performance technician in the
> past, I'm quite aware of the situations you're describing.

The throttle body was installed after dozens of runs had been madeand the
owner was quite aware of what his normal ETs were(This truck is regularly
bracket raced and is very consistent). No performance improvement was
evident even after an entire season of racing. Same goes for the rocker
arms(in fact, his ETs got a little worse). Others on the list have had
similar experiences with both the TBs and rockers particularly on an
otherwise stock engine. I warned him about the rockers after I found out
Jules sold them to him that he would probably gain little or nothing from
them(In fact I suggested he return them). Maybe its just me, but I feel a
vendor(especially one who claims to be the best developer in his field) has
a responsibility to recommend parts that will improve performance over ones
that won't. Many people won't return things afterwards due to the nuisance
of removing the part, restocking/shipping fees, or just plain bruised
pride.

> In other words,
> are your friend's experiences based on any repeatable experiments,
> or are they just anecdotal tales meant to make an emotional appeal
> rather than a logical one?

See above

> You see, I don't doubt you and your friend saw his ET drop. What I'm
> questioning is your assumptions that it was the MPI parts. One of
> first things I learned from DML is that the onboard-computer *HAS*
> to have time running with a new part for it to "self-tune" the
> performance. In other words, you can modify the heck out
> of the engine, but if you don't give the computer time to "learn"
> your changes, it will probably perform *worse* than without the
> mod.

As a former tech, I am quite aware of this and so is he.

> This is not to excuse Jules for his behavior, but I think that
> Jules has already realized it was non-productive. *If* you think
> that you are better than Jules, then please show us all by being
> gracious about his apology and quit filling up DML with a pi$$ing
> contest. If you really need to bash Jules, be so kind as to do
> it in private email.

I am done talking about Jules unless someone wants to contact me
personally. I regret that you think my responses were a "pissing contest".
I thought I remained quite reserved considering his conduct and how I've
been treated by him. I also think it is tremedously important to relate any
experiences we each may have with any vendors, good or bad. If you have a
vendor treat you like garbage, I sure hope you'll tell us so one of us
doesn't get ripped off or treated badly. I thought we were supposed to help
each other?

Andre Mauboussin