DML chauvinism

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 12:59:20 EDT

Speaking of things that disturb us...

  I've noticed quite a few contributors to the Jules...Back! thread have
commented negatively on Jules' post, because "ladies are present."

  Now, I'm not exactly Mr. Sensitive, and it seems to me that our DML
is still part of the wide anarchic world of the I'net. This is a place
where you go for information, for entertainment, and for exposure to
ideas. Part of that experience fundamentally includes the risk of exposure
to disturbing and/or offensive material. Personally, I consider this to
be a positive thing, since it elicits a reaction and almost definitely
causes people to think (even if it only raises a knee-jerk reaction).

  So this misplaced chivalry thing actually disturbs me far more than
anything Jules said. Last time I checked, women were perfectly capable
of cussing, and of defending themselves when offended. I don't want
anybody to limit their language just because the audience includes people
with internal plumbing. The DML women are pretty much the same as the
DML men as far as our list is concerned.

  I'm not trying to come down on anybody who brought the issue up for
positive reasons, so please don't take it personally.

  Ron