Re: Offset

From: Gary Pinkley (gapinkley@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Oct 26 1998 - 00:14:24 EST

Brad,

Offset is the measurement of the wheel mounting plane to the theoretical
centerline of the tire. Negative offset (-0.5", etc) happens when the
wheel's
centerline is outboard of the mounting plane. You see this kind of offset
used on lowriders that have the wheels sticking out like a skateboard.
Positive offset (+1.5") is just the opposite, the wheel's center is inboard
of the
mounting surface. Higher positive offsets were originally used on front
wheel
drive vehicles where packaging was a serious issue. Backspacing is the
measure
of the mounting surface to the inside of the rim. If you were looking at
the rim from
the back, measure down to the mounting surface, that's backspacing.

The Dakota +1.5" offset of the stock 15x7 wheels has a front wheel drive
offset,
making wheel choices a little slim for the 6x4.5 bolt pattern. By going to
a 5" back-
spacing, you will indeed move away from the a-arm, but you are going with a
wider tire,
so you may still be close.

I'm running Budnik Mercury Six 17x8 rim with +1.5" offset (5.5" backspacing)
& BFG
Comp T/A ZR4 255/50-17 tires. I have no digital pic to send to anyone yet,
but I will
find a place to post it when I get my pictures developed and scanned.

Gary Pinkley
97 Reg Cab V-6 5 spd
lowered monochrome red
255/50-17 BFG Comp T/A ZR4