Re: Tires

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 27 1998 - 12:37:00 EST

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 Rekker21@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/26/98 3:53:21 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:
>
> << While we're on the subject... Does anyone know the max width for
> the rear tires on the "2nd generation" ('92-96) bodystyle? >>
> Jon, the biggest tire Ive had on my Dak was 275. I honestly would never go
> that big again. believe it or not, they slowed me down. They were just way
> to wide and caused, atleast in my mind, a little drag at high speed. To much
> of a footprint. Im running 255's and Im happy for the road. When I go to the
> track, Ill break out the biggens!
> Eric

  So what yer saying then is that the bigger tire is better for traction
at the strip, but will slow you down on the road? Do you think the
drag was from air (sticking out beyond the fender) or the larger contact
patch (causing more rolling resistance)? I take it the added traction during
the launch outweighs the drag losses at the top end of the track?

  I don't usually drive fast on the streets anyway, so this probably
wouldn't be a big issue for me... Sometimes I'll catch myself doing
70, but I don't usually crank it up to 90 or so unless I'm in a fast
movin' "convoy" on the interstate. :-)

                                              -Jon-