Gibson Dural Cat-back [reply]

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 09:53:00 EST

Phil

I put the duals on my '97 Dak in the summer of '97.
They should fit the '98 as well.

As for pro/con with the duals and the 3", I used my
muscle car experiences of the early 70's and did not
want to risk losing some low end with the big 3".
The duals are 2.5". I also am a big fan of the rear
exit look (muscle cars again).

I have not seen any performance data which gives
the edge to one over the other. I personally think
it would be very little if any.

My research indicated that the most restrictive parts
on the OEM exhaust were the muffler and the Y-pipe.
Surprisingly, many felt that the OEM exhaust manifolds
were quite efficient.

At this time, many of the well-known manufacturers make headers for
the '97+ Dak ... JBA, Doug Thorley, Gibson, Mopar Performance,
etc.

I have chosen to go with the MP headers because their package
comes with a Y-pipe. Most of the others don't.

If you are doing a self-install, some mig welding will be
involved. For the Gibson duals, the pipe between the cat
and the stock muffler will have to cut. A joiner pipe
will have to be fitted over the pipe from the cat and the
pipe going into the Gibson muffler. This is to make sure
the Gibson muffler sits at the proper angle. For the MP
Y-pipe, a cut will have to made between the stock Y-pipe
and the cat.

If you get a hold of Sport Truck mag, May 1998, you'll
find a comparison among the cat-backs from Borla, Gibson,
Hedman and Jardine.

Hope you can find something useful in the above.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
tigers@bserv.com

Current: '97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3,55 auto., Gibson dual, K&N filter element.
          '85 Shelby Turbo Charger, 2.2L, manual.
          '70 Challenger, 383-4bbl, auto.
Past: '71 Road Runner, 340-4bbl, auto.
       '70 Duster 340, auto.