Re: Duel TBI's - ATTN JON

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 16:34:28 EST

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Tim wrote:
> Jon--I think that dual TBI's would work much better than 6, in that =
> what the engine needs is MORE AIR to give better top-end and not over =
> lean itself out so much that the performance computer wouldn't be able =
> to compensate. 6 TBI's would be like putting on a 1100 CFM carb on a =
> stock 4-banger. It looks sweet, but the driveability wouldn't be there, =
> in that it would stumble over itself. Dual TBI's, not only would give =
> better acceleration, top speed and would improve the lean-burn =
> conditions associated with long stretches of WOT. Just use either a =
> parallel sensors setup or progressive linkage to the extra TBI that =
> would kick in at a prescribed RPM. The TBI's on our trucks are just air =
> units and the manifold is of a dry type(direct port injected). All we =
> need now is a dual setup to test and try out. OOOH I can see it now, =
> you're cruising the stretches of Nevada or Wyoming(no speed limit), no =
> cop in sight, doing 90mph and a new C5 Vette comes along side, and the =
> pedal goes down, and you're doing 160(proper tires of course) and you =
> honk your horn and wave TA-TA and you're gone over the hill and the =
> Vette owner thinks to himself-- WHY THE F--K didn't I buy a DODGE DAKOTA =
> BRICK.

   Tim,

  Actually what I meant by 6-pak was 3 TB's, sort've like the 440 6-paks
of yore. :-) Even with 2 V8 TB's, you still might get a lean condition.
2 stock V8 TB's is 1,000cfm; you might be looking at adding extra fuel
in either case. (A good reason to use the "wet" MPI or M1 manifold as
a base, as opposed to the stock one.) I've tested Frank's 710cfm TB
which doesn't lean out the engine at WOT, but I have no idea what 1000
might do. (Only one way to find out...) ;-)

   Another interesting aspect of this project would be designing a good
air filtration system. I suppose you could just use a small filter on each
TB, but that might cause some restriction, and eliminate the gains. ? Maybe
just seal 'em all off to a monster hood scoop with a flat K&N in the
scoop itself...

                                              -Jon-