Re: Gibson Dural Cat-back [reply to Phil]

From: Bob Nichols (bnich@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 17:36:26 EST

Bob Tom wrote:

> Phil
>
> I put the duals on my '97 Dak in the summer of '97.
> They should fit the '98 as well.
>
> As for pro/con with the duals and the 3", I used my
> muscle car experiences of the early 70's and did not
> want to risk losing some low end with the big 3".
> The duals are 2.5". I also am a big fan of the rear
> exit look (muscle cars again).
>
> I have not seen any performance data which gives
> the edge to one over the other. I personally think
> it would be very little if any.
>
> My research indicated that the most restrictive parts
> on the OEM exhaust were the muffler and the Y-pipe.
> Surprisingly, many felt that the OEM exhaust manifolds
> were quite efficient.
>
> At this time, many of the well-known manufacturers make headers for
> the '97+ Dak ... JBA, Doug Thorley, Gibson, Mopar Performance,
> etc.
>
> I have chosen to go with the MP headers because their package
> comes with a Y-pipe. Most of the others don't.
>
> If you are doing a self-install, some mig welding will be
> involved. For the Gibson duals, the pipe between the cat
> and the stock muffler will have to cut. A joiner pipe
> will have to be fitted over the pipe from the cat and the
> pipe going into the Gibson muffler. This is to make sure
> the Gibson muffler sits at the proper angle. For the MP
> Y-pipe, a cut will have to made between the stock Y-pipe
> and the cat.
>
> If you get a hold of Sport Truck mag, May 1998, you'll
> find a comparison among the cat-backs from Borla, Gibson,
> Hedman and Jardine.
>
> Hope you can find something useful in the above.
>
> Bob
> Burlington, Ontario, Canada
> tigers@bserv.com
>
> Current: '97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3,55 auto., Gibson dual, K&N filter element.
> '85 Shelby Turbo Charger, 2.2L, manual.
> '70 Challenger, 383-4bbl, auto.
> Past: '71 Road Runner, 340-4bbl, auto.
> '70 Duster 340, auto.

Phil, I put the Gibson Duals out the back with 4" chrome pencil tips
I think it looks incredible especally with the rool pan. Real race car
look. Between the Gibson and the K+N, the truck runs alot better and is
a lot more fun to drive. As far as low end torque, I don't 4wheel (its
2wd) or tow anything so I haven't seen any diference. Bob