Wheel Care

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Oct 28 1998 - 21:18:01 EST

Rob

Here's what the pros recommend.

First, determine what kind of rims ... aluminum, clear coat, chrome, billet.
Read the label and choose the appropiate product.
Example: if a cleaner says it is made for chrome wheels, it will contain
an acid. If put on aluminum wheels, it cause a milky haze ... almost
impossible
to remove.
Example: Classy's Polymer Wax or Mother's Plastic Polish removes
oxidation or discolouring and provides a protective coat if wheels are
powdercoated,

Use a separate bucket and sponge for wheels (minize scratching).

Wash a minimum of at least once a month. Do not use dish soap.
Product examples: Classy's Wash and Wax, Mother's Car Wash.

Polish at least twice a month (not only cleans but protects).
Use only a dab of polish and use a diaper. Diapers are 100% cotton
so they won't scratch or start to fuzz while your polishing.
Use one to put on the polish and another to remove it.

My wheels are clear-coated. I wash and dry them. I feel with my fingers
to see
if there is any remaining dirt or contaminates left. If there is, I use a
first step cleaner (Illuminate First Step) to remove it. I then use a
sealer polish
(Illuminate Sealant Polish). I may then finish off with a carnuba wax
for longer protection. (Do the same with the body actually.)

If there is a lot of salt and sand on the roads in the winter, I'll spray
the rim with Pan (yep, the kitchen product) for extra protection. The rims
will get quite coated with a dirty, greasy film but they sure are protected.
When the roads clear, just wash it off. Have to watch out that the spray
doesn't get to the brakes.

You have to decide if it's worth it to invest the time and effort.

Bob
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
tigers@bserv.com

Current: '97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3,55 auto., Gibson dual, K&N filter element.
          '85 Shelby Turbo Charger, 2.2L, manual.
          '70 Challenger, 383-4bbl, auto.
Past: '71 Road Runner, 340-4bbl, auto.
       '70 Duster 340, auto.