Re: Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can I ride?

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 15:49:35 EST

>I think Gary is 'pulling your leg'. Gas in BC is around $.55/litre
>(Canadian), a bit higher in the north. Do your math and it's pretty cheap
>in $US. Since the Arctic is in thaw during the summer, the likelyhood of
>hitting snow on BC highways in the summer is virtually nil. There may be
>the odd short lived snow-storm way up in the mountains.
>
>Of course, I could tell you about the retired U.S. couple in a Caddy that I
>met in Trail, B.C. a few years ago. They had 4 studded snow tires in
>anticipation of snow in August.
>
>The Alaska highway is paved. This may come as a bit of a surprise, but
>British Columbia and the Yukon are somewhat civilized ... kinda like
Alaska.

>Rob

Keep in mind this was in 1989.... $.85/litre was the worst price I saw...
that's what stuck in my head...I'll admit the average was lower. But at the
time, they were taking $US at or close to same as $CN (some places were
giving a 10% disc for $US if memory serves)... at least in the back woods of
Yukon territory.
I DISTINCTLY remember paying $50 US to fill my tank (19 gallons) once!

And the snow that we hit was about 11pm... it was raining, we were climbing
a long grade.. at some point the rain turned to snow... I'll agree it was
short lived.. probably was gone just after dawn, but it still freaked us
out, and we were fearless ;-)

It may be paved by now.... but I preferred the gravel sections then... they
were a blast hangin' the rear end out at 70+ mph...

Gary "don't believe me if you don't want to" Shook