RE: Necking (exhaust...)

From: Bridges, Bruce (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 19:27:46 EST

Colin,
Just remember that if the entrance condition is designed improperly, you can
effectively reduce the diameter of the pipe to a smaller dia than the actual
inlet. ie: if you take a 2.5" pipe and dump it onto the 2" cat inlet, you
have effectively created a cat inlet that is smaller than the 2" due to the
entrance effects. You need a long blend or radius that is R/D .2 or less
(0.5"radius or bigger for 2.5"pipe, not much room for that..) to actually
get better flow than 2" pipes with a smooth inlet transistion. Fluids, what
a wonderful, semi predictable thing..

______2.5"____ cat
                             ________
                             separation zone, no flow
                             ===========flow zone (soda straw time)
                             separation zone, no flow
                             _________

(sorry Sam, my ASCII attempt, not so good...) separation @ the sharp edged
inlet will "neck" the Cat inlet to a substatially smaller inlet than the
actual 1 7/8" see fig 10-12 of Engineering Fluid Mechanics,
Roberson/Crowe...