Re: Foreign Currency

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 30 1998 - 21:43:23 EST

At 06:23 PM 10/30/98 -0800, you wrote:
><snip>
>>These are according to archives at the federal reserve bank of Chicago....
>
>>so in a perfect world, they should have been giving me a 16% discount
>>(1/1.19=.84 $US for 1 $CN) for that trip... but these guys were perfectly
>>willing to make a little on the deal....but I don't think it was a "rip
>>off"... today the rate is more like 1.54... so now 10% would be a real rip
>>off...
>

>>Gary Shook
>
>Accepting foreign currency is a courtesy extended by many business' to our
>friends from the south. Generally you pay a small surcharge for this. If
>you want the current rate of exchange, best go to a bank.
>
>Gary said this happened in the 'back woods' of the Yukon. The owner of the
>gas station probably would have to drive many miles (at $.85/litre) to do
>his banking and exchange the money.
>
>In the reverse this is not necessarily the case. Northern US border towns
>(or resort towns like Vegas) will accept $Can., but with those exceptions,
>I have found that most US business' will not accept Canadian money.

   I don't know wether my area would be considered a border town or not
(1 hour SW of Buffalo, under Lake Erie), but when I used to work at
Burger King <shudder>, we'd accept Canadian money at a healthy exhange
rate, similar to what those backwoods folks seem to do. (Like 35% when it
was 25-30%, etc.) Course, we were right at a thruway exit. We'd overlook
coins smaller than a loony (sp?), and just put 'em in with the 'merican
stuff.
Most places seem to do that, unless you show up with a pocketful of the
stuff.
:-)

   Certain estabilishments up in the Niagra Falls area take Canadian
money at par to try and coax the Canucks to come across the border. :-)
(PS: I'm allowed to call 'em that because my Mom is one of "them", so
don't go postal on me, eh?) ;-)

 Dak content: try paying off a 3000GT VR-4 on Burger King wages. ;-)

                                               -Jon-