Re: looking for a bumper (Sam) (LONG)

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 03 1998 - 01:14:39 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Nichols <bnich@bellatlantic.net>

>I figured somewhere around 1/2 would be fair. Let me know. BTW EXCELLENT
>LOOKING YELLOW DAK! VERY NICE. Good Luck with it! Bob

    Thanks! My wife let me turn it around in the driveway for her tonight
:P

    She's had 3 people in rams ask what it is in traffic, and I've had 2
people
(one in a toyota, the other in a honda) say nice truck, etc. etc.

    Here's what happened on Saturday (True story):

    My friend called me Friday night, and asked if I got a new truck (he
apparently
drove past my house and saw the YelloRT.) I explained how it's my wife's ,
etc.etc.
And he tells me a friend of his is looking to buy a new truck, and likes the
Dakota.
I tell him I'd help him look (that's why he called right?) and I met them at
the dealership
Saturday (with my wife's YelloRT). Go to the same salesman (he was pretty
fair, and
actually wrote us a full page (handwritten) thanking us for going through
him to purchase
the YelloRT, etc.,etc). Well my friend's friend test drove a SB Ram V6, as
it was cheaper
than the cheapest Dakota they had. The salesmanager tells us about a Dakota
CC,
4-cyl sport that they have in the back. I couldn't believe they had CC
4-cyl Dakotas!!
We look at it (red), AC, 5 speed, Cassette, crank windows/manual locks.. try
to get
it started (no gas says the gauge!). Put 5 gallons o-gas in it.... Still
nothing. Cranks,
but doesn't light. The funny thing is that the gas gauge doesn't even move
off of the
stopper (E). After a few looks under the hood, no ECM (SBEC, DOHC, XYZ,
PDQ, ETC.)
module. Someone from service took it out for another vehicle, and forgot to
order a
replacement. Bummer, was looking forward to driving a 4-cyl CC... A truck
with 1/2
the HP of my wife's YelloRT, wow... 1 3/4' clearance between the radiator
and the serp
belt!! Not to knock the 2.5L engine, but I was amazed. The funny thing
after all of this
wasted time (they called later and told me the had the ECM installed, and
the truck
was running and ready for a test drive, but I didn't have the time to go
back to the dealership
with them... will find out later the outcome), while I was waiting up in
front of the dealership,
3-people came to look at the RED RT, then walk down to the street and look
at my
wife's YelloRT... I talked to each one of them (felt like a used-car
salesman!)
One lady drove up in a Deep Ameth. '98 RT, she drove about 90 miles just to
come down
here looking for the 'The Yellow One" as she said. It turns out, 3 weeks
ago there was a car
show at the San Diego Convention Center, and they had a Yellow RT. That's
our truck.
She wanted to buy it for her husband, but couldn't find one. She was
seriously bummed
that it was sold. She will be getting a black one from Carson City, Nev. as
that was her
second choice. Another guy was down from Sacramento, and really wanted the
inside
scoop from an owner, and not a "sales-puke" as he put it. And finally a guy
in a '62
convertible Vette. Same thing, look at the red one, then walk over to the
yellow one.
He apparently has a '91 Dakota, and wants to re-new his Dakota-ism :P
He might be buying the red one. The saleman owes me a tank of gas for each
person
that buys a car through him (that I put his way)... I didn't tell him which
truck I was going
 to bring for that tank of gas :) ('95 SLT-- 92 Octane please!! )

Sam '95 SLT