Re: Re: Re: Cap and Rotor Questions

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Tue Nov 03 1998 - 23:17:50 EST

>> actually it has very little to do with the conductivity of the material,
>> it's the resistance to corrosion & the characteristics of the corrosion-
>> brass is used in marine applications because it stands up in the salt
>> environment... aluminum doesn't... and aluminum oxide does not conduct &
has
>> a tendancy to build up... both caps are pretty much identical in
performance
>> when new... the brass just continues to perform as new for a longer time.
>>
>> Gary Shook
>
>Thanks Gary. But being a US Navy veteran, I've cleaned to much tarnish off
>of brass to appreciate it in marine applications.

I can appreciate your point, but I've had to replace QuadraJunk carbs on our
families' boat after rebuilding them 3 times (twin inboard OMC 305's)... the
aluminum carbs just disintegrated over the years... does anyone make brass
carbs? ;-)

we finally gave up and when to Holley Pro-Jection units... haven't had any
problems since...

Gary Shook