RE: "truck" 360 Was: no Reg. test-rained out

From: Bridges, Bruce (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 13:35:30 EST

Alan,
The 360 magnum can make more power (380 horse crate motors), but its not a
"truck" thing. My thought is that Chryco was Out of the pony car buisiness,
but is In the truck buisiness. Unfortunately, they only have truck motors
to go into their trucks... Trucks are low revving high torque, long lived
vehicles, right??? But, They do offer HP parts for the truck motors (not
quite enough for the '96 and later) and its not hard to see how to get the
R/TCC into the high 14s with some of their parts (MPI manifold, bigger cam,
etc.)... After looking at the Truck "tuner" issue of Truck Trend mag. I
felt a lot better. Most of the trucks (other than the Lingenfelter
Suburban) were in the mid to low 15s, and thats after 20K worth of upgrades,
probably 10K being driveline "tweaks" like superchargers and etc...My R/TCC
is in the low 15s with about 600.00 worth of tweaks and my skid pad #s are
better than most all of the tuner's trucks as well! So, The R/T IS fast
for a truck (and handles good too 8^), just like the Honda Rs are fast for a
Honda, its a "class" thing. I can say my truck is slow compared to a big
block Barracuda, but its not a fair comparison.
        As for the power... The power is hiding in the VE as Jules would
say (I think) and that is controlled by the Hard parts (cam, TB, exhaust,
port config) and the evil Keebler infested computer. Im all for Elf
extermination, but first you gotta understand them (sensitive bastards),
then you can change em (got a bullet with the name of each adaptive
cell...8^) But, You have to keep in mind the "truckness" of the situation
(4500lbs + with no weight in the back, full frame, etc. etc.) and the
"legality" of the situation (CA boy). Give it time and people will find
away to go faster in a dakota 360, just in time to watch the "dinosaur" 360
go away...