Re: 318/360

From: William Blount Arthur (m990198@nadn.navy.mil)
Date: Wed Nov 04 1998 - 15:11:38 EST

> Could it be because the 318/360's are TRUCK engines designed for long life and durability
> under heavy loads? Whereas you're comparing them to performance car engines.
> Even in the 'olden days' (60's, 70's) the 360 was never a performance engines. There was the 340 and 383.

Well, that is true. Compared to the GM and ford trucks, our trucks rock.
Also, the LS1 and the 4.sh*t (I meant 4.6) has aluminum heads. The 4.6
you reffered to is a dual overhead cam with 4 valves per cylinder in a
completly aluminum engine that makes its power at 5500 to 6000 rpm. That
isn't exactly the go out and work in the feild all day kind of power, not
to mention that the whopping 2 ft lbs of torque it makes at 2000 rpm
wouldnt pull anything. We need to get hold of some aluminum 10:1 heads if
we want to go fast.

Bill
'97 SS/T