Wrecked Dakota Part 3

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Thu Nov 05 1998 - 01:24:51 EST

For those of you who asked, I am doing fine and no, there was no one else
with me in the truck. I had a stiff neck and headache for about 48 hours,
and my left arm was also a little sore. I have a doctors appointment
tomorrow for a physical.

Here are the answers to the other questions asked in no particular order.

No, I did not get the speed of both vehicles at the time of impact, though I
was doing, maybe 15 mph and he hit me hard enough to move the Dak sideways
about 1-2 feet, though I am guessing here.

The rail under the door did take a lot of the impact, though so did the
front suspension since that was the initial point of impact. I was moving
forward, so basically everything from the passenger side front tire to the
bed got wacked pretty good. There is a tear in the rear cab sheet metal that
you can make out in one of the pictures and the side impact beam is for all
practical purposes, still in tact.

No one's head hit anything in the interior, though my cool did go through
the roof :)

No air bag deployment.

The tonneau did not get shifted that is just the standard over hang from the
Snuglid cover, but good eyes. It you look at the shot of the truck from the
front, you can see that the rear of the door has been pushed inwards about 3
inches. And yes, the door still opens and closes, though it does hit the
front fender.

My wife is providing the mental support, so a psychologist is not
needed..........yet.

I'm not sure what is going to happen to the truck right now. I've been out
of town killing fish down at the coast and when I got back tonight there was
a message from the insurance adjuster stating that they wanted to talk to me
about my claim. I will know more tomorrow. The owner of the body shop said
that though this was a difficult repair, that it was repairable and not to
worry. That was before I told him about the suspension being wacked though.

And no, I'm sorry, I did not kill the other guy, though I came very close.
I'm quite sure that everyone for a couple of blocks around heard me scream
"What the F#ck?!!!!!" at him when I got out of the truck. He made a bad
mistake when he tried coming over and start apoligizing right away, but
then, what else could he do. He knew that he ran a red light and there were
witnesses all around. I just about told him to get out of my face, but
instead I just turned around and walked off for a few minutes while my blood
stopped boiling.

As a side note, he really did start his week off bad. The guy had just flown
in to Austin from Portland to visit the people who's car he was driving.
They were in the car with him. I have no idea what their relationship is
though the age spread suggested his grandparents. Can you imagine driving an
unfamiliar car in an unfamilair town, and wrecking it with someones 1 year
old Dak? I feel sorry for the guy in a way that has nothing to do with how
mad I am at him for hitting me.

That's it for now, more tomorrow.

John
98 Dak (in the shop having unwanted body work removed)