Re: 4.7 AND BEYOND

From: Mike Styer (mstyer@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Nov 06 1998 - 02:09:00 EST

> > Will they be applying the technology from the 4.7 into the 5.9 to make
> > it more powerful?
> >

> I'm not sure... I've heard both. Some people say yes, the 5.9
> will get all the new technology (and will be smaller in displacement), but
> others say that since the 5.9 is the base of the crate motor program,
> they will be keeping it. I don't see Mopar Performance killing the Magnum
> crate motor...
>
> Maybe when we go up to Michigan to strip Eric's Dak, we can do
> some poking around in the design center and get some answers... ;-)
>
> -Jon-
Before or after we "clean" his Dak :)? It wouldn't be good for one of
his work buddies to tell him a rumor about some guys walking around the
design center with Viper seat and pulling a dolly with a fixed up 360 on
it:)

Seriously though, I cannot see a reason not to apply the improvements of
the next generation engine to a .360 engine. It would keep, if not
improve, the emissions and mileage of the current engine, and I'm pretty
sure it will be within standards for the upcoming years. It's a win win
situation here. They'd more than keep the Mopar buyers they have and it
would really improve the next generation of Mopar buyers.
Stronger/faster engine + improved gas mileage and emissions + an
preexisting great body style = GREAT

I \'d think it would cut down on cost for producing the engines since
they'd be able to use a few more of the current parts (blocks,
accessories, etc). I could be wrong about this, I know it's happened
before :) Last girlfriend made sure I wouldn't forget that:)

Mike S.
If I could easily get a 400 HP 400Lbs/torque 5.9 I wouldn't have the V6
I'm happy with now:)