Dakota Dyno Day in Houston

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Sun Nov 08 1998 - 13:32:50 EST

Well, the Houston Impala SS club held their about-annual dyno day at
Motorsport Technologies, Inc. yesterday, and we got a chance to dyno our
mostly-stock 98 R/T. I say mostly-stock because all I have added since
we bought the truck is a home-brewed fresh air intake into the factory
airbox. Otherwise, the truck is stock.

We got two pulls, and the truck managed a maximum of 210 HP and 309
lb.ft. torque at the rear wheel. That equates to about 256 HP at the
flywheel, assuming about 18% drivetrain HP losses. Not bad. We're
happy, and can now install the JBA headers (by the way, when are the
Y-pipes going to be available?) and work that throttle body over! Let
the mods begin! :-)

We also got a chance to meet fellow R/T'er Steve Waller. He put his
black 98 on the dyno and got some interesting results. We will let him
do any explaining he wants to. It was a great day, watching the cars and
trucks get dyno'ed, talking cars, and eating some of that killer Impala
Club BBQ. After most of the dyno runs were over, we had a burnout
contest. We didn't burn up any of our 1100-mile Goodyears, but some of
the Impala guys who were just about ready to get a new set of tires did.
 Lots of smoke and noise! It was cool to hold the cars in place and
listen to the cement pop as it heated under the tires. After the cars
rolled out, the water would boil on the burnout spot!! Cool!

Two interesting notes. Jason, at MTI noted to us that based on their
experience with 5.9 Durango's (they haven't seen a lot of R/Ts yet),
removing the stock airbox assembly is worth 11 repeatable HP. Also,
during the dyno test, he would run the vehicle up in 3rd gear. We have
data points to 5500 RPM. That's 800 RPM past redline! Those 360's will
really sing up there! The HP curve (on a stock truck, remember) starts
to drop off after about 4200 RPM, and the torque curve starts to drop
after 3600 RPM. The truck has some nice, down low torque.

There WAS an interesting spike in the curves at around 3500 RPM. Steve's
truck also had this kick, although I don't remember it being as big a
spike. His truck, I believe, was making a little more overall HP.

Barbara and Gene Beaird
98 Flame Red CC R/T, 256 HP