Cutting Coils and Other Suspension Info

From: Gary Pinkley (gapinkley@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Nov 10 1998 - 22:09:56 EST

OK, here goes.......

Cutting coils is not necessarily bad, but, the spring functions as
a whole, all of the coils contributing to yield a spring rate and
acceptable stress levels. Removing a coil from the stack, will
raise the spring rate and increase stress levels in the material.
Many times, cut stockers will be over stressed and will eventually
take a set and begin to sag. Keep an eye on the ride height over
time to make sure you're not sagging. Also, overstressed springs
will lose rate and the vehicle will begin to feel soft. Nothing beats
a well engineered lowered spring. I design all my springs with
sufficient coils to give me a stress level of at least equal to
what the stock coils have. A typical pair of high quality aftermarket
springs will cost approximately $125/pair.

I'm not a big fan of lowering blocks. The die-cast aluminum cheapies
found ar Pep-Boys tend to crack under heavier duty driving conditions.
I saw a pair installed on a new Durango that lasted 3 miles. If they are
made of better materials, they will last. As a last note, blocks reduce the
amount of lateral stiffness in the rear suspension. This gives a feeling
that the tail is wagging on a corner, even though the tires may not break
traction. This is due to the fact that the springs (which provide lateral
stiffness) are located farther away from the point where the load is
applied (i.e. the axle). This imparts a higher moment (torque) into the
u-bolt/block stackup. A simple static force equation for torque is

T = F * d.

Where
T = Torque, F = Force, d = distance
Thus, if you increase the distance, you increase the torque.

Trying to lower the truck by only lengthening the rear shackle
will add understeer to the overall handling. What you essentially are
doing is mounting the spring at more of an angle in the vehicle.
Try to imagine the truck in a heavy corner. If the spring was
mounted horizontally, the wheels would travel straight up-and-down.
by raising the rear eye of the spring, the outside tire will travel upward
and point inward, and the inside tire does the opposite. This acually
steers the rear end towards the inside of the corner, pushing the front
outwards, giving understeer. This can be a way to fine tune the handling,
but the factory already designs in plenty of understeer. The best way to
lower the rear is with either a re-designed leaf, or a front and rear spring
hanger that relocates the stock spring without changing the mounting
angle. Sometimes, due to the limited travel of a lowered leaf spring, you
want to increase the spring rate to better control the compression so
the truck doesn't bottom out as easily.

Gary Pinkley
97 Reg Cab V-6 5 spd
lowered monochrome red