Re: HELP!!....on buying 94 Dakota

From: Sam Parthemer (maverick_nr552@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 12 1998 - 11:00:34 EST

>> Ok guys...as you may know I already own a 93 Dakota 4x4, my
girlfriend and
>> I went out car shopping for her and we found this 1994 Dakota she
fell in
>> love with. I am going back there tomorrow to check it over and just
curious
>> if anyone can point out to me things to check on this 94. Its a 94
reg cab
>> Sport package with a cap, 2WD, auto, V6, 32,500 miles, air, AM/FM
cassette.
>> We took it out and it runs great! No body damage or scrapes. I want
to run
>> the fault code test on it also, are the codes similar to the ones on
my 93?
>> I am fairly good at mechanic work, just want some input on special
stuff to
>> look for. The price is $8550 and according to the blue book it goes
for
>> $10,000 so it seems like a GREAT price. Just want to make sure I look
at
>> things that could be a problem. OH.....by the way, recall listed for
this
>> truck are:
>> Safety Recall #642 Steering Wheel Back Cover and Safety Recall #606,
what
>> are these??????? THANKS ALOT guys, I really want her to get this
rather than
>> some Honda she has also been looking at, Dakotas are much safer!
>> KYLE
>Well,as a 91 and 94 model owner I would certainly crawl downunder to
>check those front rotors for scoring and rust/pitting and check exhaust
>system for rust, some went way to early. Problems with both and at that
>price those items should be near perfect.

Not knowing what part of the country you are located; check the
underside of all fender wells, and the underside of the bed/cab
areas for rust. Check the options list (under the hood) to see if the
paint code matches the truck (to see if it was painted a different
color), look at the bolts along the tops of the fender (under the hood)
for signs of paint scrapes (lets you know if the fenders were ever
removed-- body damage repairs). Drive the truck and note ANY sounds
(don't play the radio while test driving)... Check the brakes for
warpage (it happens), but expect it... The trouble codes should all be
the same (for the most part).

Good luck!

Sam '95 S/L/R/T :P
Sonya '99 R/T