dakota-truck@buffnet.net

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 13:34:39 EST

Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 14:50:15 -0500
From: "mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes)" <MSykes@su.edu>
Subject: dakota-truck@buffnet.net

The smoke is white, but it's thin. I can't tell if it's blue-ish or
not because I
can't really see it that well, because it's not that thick. My
Mechanic told
me I was getting a little bit of blow-by, but he said it wasn't bad
enough
to worry about yet. Well, given what you guys told me about my PCV,
I'll
put that on the "fix" list. I did have my Valve cover gasket leaking,
but I
had it replaced. This combined with the oil around my Crankcase
beather,
I think I am getting compression in areas where it's not supposed to
be.
Rebuild? yeah, right... like I've got that kind of money. I think I
may be
leaking out of my oil pan gasket also. I'll make some phone calls.
Thanks
for your help... hopefully I won't have to "Park it" =(

- -mike d.

Mike:

Some more thoughts .... now that the weather is cooling, water vapour
from the exhaust (white colour) is normal. This comes from the air
that your engine uses. You will get a wet spot where it blows on the
ground and drips from the drain hole in the back of the muffler.
Does the liquid in the exhaust smell like anti-freeze?

You didn't tell us; is your antifreeze is going down?, is there water
in the oil (white froth around fill cap) or oil in the anti-freeze?,
did you check the oil level after they did the oil change ... maybe
they shorted you 1.5 quarts. Did they re-install the rubber grommet
around the drain plug? Is the drain plug loose?

How is it running? How many miles on the engine?

Pull the plugs and see if one/all is oily or wet. Your mechanic can
do a compression check and guage the amount of blow-by.

Hope this helps.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com
Victoria, B.C.