Re: Re: RE: Gears attn: Scott Morris

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 17:21:06 EST

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Chris lang wrote:

> Jon, theres already somthing like that out there at:
>
> http://www.4lo.com/
> it'll figure out:
>
> • Gear Ratio
> • Tire Change
> • Metric Tire
> • Ring/Pinion
> • True MPH

  Thanks for the tip, Chris. I checked it out, but I'm definitely going
to keep working on the DML one. In my (slightly biased) ;-) opinion, the
one I'm doing is a lot more user friendly; a lot easier to work with
and understand. Also, its true CGI, as opposed to Javascript, so it'll
work with any browser that supports tables, and is "safer/more stable" in
general. (I couldn't get that calculator to work in Internet Exporer (got
Javascript errors) and it wouldn't display correctly in Netscape, although
it did do the calculations. The "target audience" seems to be a little
different too; his does some stuff I don't care about and mine does some
stuff he doesn't care about. Mostly, mine is for trying to decide what size
tires to use if someone wants to switch, and what gearing and speedo
effects they'll have. (he does have gearing and speedo information, but
to check the speedometer, you have to input a speed and it tells you
what the reading would be for that speed; mine prints a table
from 5-200mph and lists all the speeds in an easy to view format.

  I printed out his formulas though, just to compare 'em to mine
and make sure I'm on the same page, so that should be helpful.

                                              -Jon-