[Fwd: Are all R/Ts created equal?? .. 1/4mi. times]

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Thu Nov 19 1998 - 11:45:37 EST

Shane, I feel better knowing everyone with an R/T running 14's isn't
doing so back to back under any and all conditions. I wasn't aware I had
a traction problem until I saw the numbers drop with tire pressure, it
just doesn't spin much on the launch, or so I thought. I've been racing
with up to 40 lbs of air, which I know is a lot, but like I said, I
didn't sense that it was loosing so much traction. I only wish the 1/4
mile tracks were open year around so I could lower the pressure and get
in the 14's myself. Alan S.

attached mail follows:

 Are all R/Ts created equal?? Are all tracks and different days (weather
conditions) the same??
 Is it really that much of a spread in 1/4mi. times acheived by numerous R/T
owners on this list as it seems to be?? I really don't think it is. Here's why
I'm saying this.

  This year with the R/T I was privileged to race at ten different tracks, all
within what I'd call the Mid-Atlantic region. I also had the chance to see and
race with three other different '98 R/T RCs at three differnt tracks on three
seperate occasions. All three of their best ETs of the day were very close to
my best ETs of the day. Take for instance, Rich B. (fellow DMLer) and his
R/T.He and I raced the same day (11/7)at Cecil Cty. Dragway in Rising Sun,MD.
His best ET of the day...... 14.69 with a 2.20 60'. My best ET of the day....
14.39 with a 2.00 60' (I use drag tires). Subtract the .2sec. difference from
the 60 footers of stock tire vs. drag tire and you'll see that there's only a
tenth difference in the ETs. The other two R/Ts were also within a tenth.

 Now, to show just how much difference in ET I have experienced at different
tracks with different conditions.

 (5/23/98) Cecil Cty. Dragway, best out of five runs ... 14.705 btw: it took
me a total of sixty seven additional passes after this one to beat it. It must
have been an exceptional weather front that day.

 (5/30/98,only one week after the 14.70) Raceway Park in Englishtown NJ, best
ET out of eight runs that day ... 15.156 E-Town has the rep. as being a
quick track, but, not this day as it was unseasonably hot and humid. One of
the slips has an absolute barometer reading of only 28.62 (very low pressure)

 Some other not so stellar ETs...............

(6/20-21/98) Quaker City Dragway, Salem, OH , best ET of nine runs in two days
... 15.276

(8/7-9/98) Mopar Nats, National Trail Raceway, Columbus OH , best run out of
nine in three days ... 15.050

 Hopefully this will help ease some of you with the not so spectacular 1/4 mi.
times in your R/Ts. Seems like you just have to be at the right spot at the
right time.

Shane Baker
'98 R/T RC