RE: Re: Aero Shaft

From: Bridges, Bruce (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Fri Nov 20 1998 - 14:46:47 EST

Jules,
The slide rule comes out (hope im not holding it upside down...) The
butterfly torque is controlled by the following parameters:
1.seal friction (virtually non-exsitent)
2. bearing friction (directly related to unbalanced pressure force across
the butterfly disc)
3. non-symmetrical pressure loading around the butterfly axis *
4. disc /fluid dynamic torque
Hmmph
The unbalanced pressure force across the disc (now referred to as UPF) is
directly related to the delta pressure across the disc and the projected
area of the disc in the flow path. To address the "jump" off idle, The
forces generated by this "property"are much greater than any aerodynamic
forces potentially causing a "torque reversal" (+ we got a big A** spring
on the throttle shaft holding it down ). The UPF is massive (relatively)
due to the very low pressure under the plates caused by the air flowing
around the perimeter...I think the "Jump" is due to the complete unshrouding
of the plates on the leading edge. "Unshrouded" butterfly valves flow about
20% of total up to approx 50 deg rotation, and the factory "shrouded" valve
a lot less. Unshroud, and whoa... big flow for little rotation...
For Max flow.... Yep, we separate at the trailing edge of the shaft at 60+
deg (and lower too probably) But, We got Big A** plates to compensate.
Maybe that ol mystery shaft can get us to 780cfm by reducing the seperation
"choking" @ WOT. Then again, Im not sure my truck would like that much
right now. Maybe after the alpha filtering/data rejection of the MAP signal
to avoid those big overlap bumpstick pos pulses..... Time to call the
Flometrics man!
www.flometrics.com
BKB