wrapping exhaust pipe with tape

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Mon Nov 23 1998 - 08:45:41 EST

" don't know if this is the story on your vehicles....but my
Shelby's exhaust is
about 3/4" away (running across the front of the trans oil pan) from the
trans
oil pan.

So heres what I m going to do:

Wrap that sucker (exhaust pipe) with a Header (heat reducing) wrap. I
feel it
should keep the temperature of the trans oil down...

wadda ya think ? "

I might have a better suggestion ( I have heard that insulating wrap
ends up destroying the pipe over time)
  I tried this on my sister 69 Firebird that was eating starters due to
the close proximity of the drivers side downpipe off the manifold-and so
far, so good...
  I made a heat shield and slipped it into place around the starter, but
when I designed it, I made tabs that would slide around the starter
mounting bolts, between the starter and the block, and took the place of
one of the shims. This heat shield deflects a lot of the heat, carrying
up and transmitting it into the block, plus, with the large surface
area-dissipates it back into the air...
  You may want to take a long piece of tin or other metal, make mounting
tabs with slots to slide under a few trans pan bolts or some close
bracket, and see how that works. I used a piece of steel construction
framing stud that I cut with tin snips, but any thick, workable metal
would be ok-maybe like a real estate "for sale" sign...
  Try that...
Patrick