oil leak on magnum valve covers

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Wed Nov 25 1998 - 10:21:14 EST

" Took the Mopar Magnum covers off my 98 318 and reused them on my
99 R/T.
BTW I have a problem with the oil filler cap not sealing well and oil is

leaking arround the cap. Anyone elso with that problem and what is the
fix? "

I had the same problem. Actually had a lot of problems. First off, the
grommet for the breather wasn't interchangeable between the steel and
the aluminum, my pcv grommet leaked, and both oil caps were leaking. I
got the grommet set that I found in the Mopar Performance catalog from
Chrysler, and when I installed them in the aluminum covers, I put a
small bead of black RTV around the bottom so when it was installed, it
would seal the bottom from the pesky dribbles. I called a parts store
and ordered 2 chrome oil caps (each cover has one) and installed them.
The original gaskets and tension on the old caps just didnt work
anymore, new ones have been fine for 6 months now....
Patrick