Re: '89 Dakota 3.9 TBI stalls on take-off

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Wed Nov 25 1998 - 13:57:28 EST

If you're not getting a check engine light, I would definately look at the
oxygen sensor... it should trip a code if the computer can't compensate...
if it's not, it's broken... try pulling the codes (I think the ignition
on-off-on-off etc trick works with '89s... correct me if I'm wrong) They may
tell you what's wrong.

Gary Shook

>Above truck stalls when accelerating from a standstill. At idle the engine
is smooth
>with no noticable missing. When the accelerator is pressed slightly the
engine
>begins to stall, black smoke is pretty heavy out the exhaust. If the
accelerator is
>pressed on down the engine picks up speed rapidly and the truck moves out
rapidly. If the
>accelerator is not moved from the initial position, the engine will "flood"
out and die. Much more black smoke just before dying!

>Throttle Position Sensor? Or what?

<snip>