RE:DML Slushbox woes...

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Tue Dec 01 1998 - 13:25:50 EST

  Just met a guy with the exact same problem on a Chevy truck. He hadn't
driven it in a week and it wouldn't shift into second gear. He drove it over
to my folks place and it finally shifted to second as he was coming up to the
house. My father and he drove it around a bit and it started acting normal.
The "whine" in the tranny that was there when he started went away also.
   It seems that the ATF can drain out of the torque converter after long
periods of time of not running, especially if the truck is parked on a slope.
Apparently you need to set the parking break and let the truck run in neutral
for several minutes until the pumps refill the tc. If you aren't careful you
can "foam" the ATF and it takes forever for the tranny to work right again
until all the bubbles are gone from the fluid. This was all learned from a
Dodge mechanic that my father had called. I don't know how official this is,
but it seems that it's a wierd problem that affects some trannys.

Shaun H.