Re: check engine light is on after cat back installation

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 17:14:34 EST

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, dakota_5sp_v8 wrote:

> I took my truck to an exhaust shop and now the check engine light is on. He
> had to move the oxygen sensor or something. It was a 97 mopar cat back kit
> on a 98 318.
> Has this happend to anyone? What should I do?

  Ouch. Hopefully this is something simple. Check behind the cat and
look at the O2 sensor. Make sure that all 4 wires are secure, from the
sensor to the harness. See if you can tell wether the sensor or the
wires look like they might have been burned. Its possible that the
shop damaged the sensor when they moved it. You might want to go
back there and explain the problem to them; if they're a decent shop
they'll try to remedy the problem for free. If not, see if you can find
out exactly what they did.

  You can go to a dealer and they can pull the codes from your computer;
I'm guessing that the downstream O2 sensor is the culprit, there's no
reason for the shop to have touched the upstream sensor (but its possible
I suppose...) Since its a Mopar exhaust, the dealer might not hassle you
about it... :-)

  My guess is that you've got a loose connection to the downstream O2
sensor or the downstream O2 sensor was damaged during the install.
If you've got a multimeter, one way to test the O2 sensor is to check
the resistance across the 2 heater circuit wires (the 2 white wires).
The resistance should be between 5-7 ohms.

 Good luck! :-)

                                              -Jon-