RE:Rotor Warpage

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Fri Dec 04 1998 - 11:42:52 EST

   I've had this problem and my father is currently experiencing this really
bad. The only way to fix it seems to have the rotors turned after the initial
problem, torque the wheels back on with a torque wrench (85ft lbs.) (don't
rely on an impact wrenchs' 'torque' setting) in a cross-star pattern, and
repeat the loosening and re-torquing at the first sign of shudder from the
brakes (my dad carries a floor jack and his torque wrench in his truck).
   It's a mega pain, but it's either that or specialized rotors. BTW, I'd
recommend against vented (drilled) rotors for anything but sports vehicles (if
your Dak is all tricked out it'd probably be fine). The rotors are weaker,
and if you tow anything of any weight, one hard stop will demonstrate this.
You might not be able to stop at all the next time. Tractor Trailers don't
use vented disks (when they have disks at all). Vented disks are on
Motorcycles and sports cars for a reason. Automobile manufacturers assume a
"generic" use of a vehicle unless its a specialized one, and if you use your
Dak as a "Truck of all Trades" stay away from drilled rotors. If you've got a
sport Dak that'll never see a heavy load in the bed or a trailer, go for the
drilled stuff: it looks cool... ^_^

Shaun H.