Help ! Blowing oil out. -Reply

From: Michael Z-Sykes (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 06 1998 - 21:41:28 EST

I would say to get a motor out of a junkyard and put your heads and stuff
on it, or you can find out what the roblem is, and fix it there. I woud
personally find an 8 popper and electric fans... but that's just me =)

-mike d.
88V6

>>> <smallows@atl.bellsouth.net> 12/03/98 06:11pm >>>
My 1989 Dakota 4-cyl is now blowing oil out the top very bad. I checked
around and theres plenty of vacuum at the pcv valve, so everyone I
spoke
with says its probably a cracked piston or ring.
I was told a rebuilt 4-cyl would cost almost $2000 installed. I found a
1991 4-cyl engine (with 75,000 miles on it) at a scrap yard for $500.
Will the 91 fit ok? I wouldn't mind finding a decent V-6 if it would
mate up ok. I have a 5-speed. This is a 2-wd truck.
Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I'm near Atlanta but the used engine is in NE Alabama (near my
folks). I guess I'll try to get someone up there to help me swap it out
this weekend.
Thanks again,
Philip