Re: DML Digest V4 #37

From: RAS002@worldnet.att.net
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 10:01:59 EST

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 19:16:25 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>> From: Chris lang <langcj@clarkson.edu>
>> To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
>> Subject: DML: Re: Re: Kill the MAP/Earn $1,000! was:Fuel
>>pressure---idea?
>> Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 11:39 AM
>>

>> Hey jules give me a litle info or a source of info on the MAP and how it
>> works and I might be able to get it done. I'm not an EE but since I'm at
>an
>> Engineering school I might be able to get one of my friends to do it.
>Just
>> give me some Info and I'll get em workin on it...
>>

>> Chris
> chris-
>
>try to figure out some way that the signal from the map can be made to
>artificially make the sbec happy while disconnnected...
>
>jam'n

  Jules, please tell me what you expect to happen with the MAP out of
the picture. Also, is this for W.O.T. , part throttle, or both? I
decided to try something similar on the way home from work the other
day.

  After looking at the resistance tables for the Engine Coolant
Temperature Sensor and the Manifold Air Temperature Sensor, I thought
I'd try disconnecting the sensors and plugging in a resistor of the
appropriate value (500k = 14 deg F) to "simulate" a cold engine, thus
forcing the PCM into open loop.

  However, I didn't have any resistors with me, so I just pulled the
connectors and drove home without them. This will result in lighting up
the MIL and killing the coolant temp gauge for sure (I'm hoping the
resistors will provide enough feedback to prevent the MIL). I stopped
on my regular "launch pad" for testing - my RC R/T usually spins for
10-15 feet and I have to pre-load the convertor to 1500 to get this.
Well, today it f#$%ing fried the tires, banged 2nd in a flash, spun
wildly (getting a little sideways), I was so freaked I let off for a
sec, then nailed it again, lighting it up in 2nd again.

  YES, I think there's some power to be had here. I will try G-Tech'ing
it next time I'm on nights, but you dyno guys may want to try this on
your next dyno session. I'm thinking of some type of switch to swap
between the stock sensors and a pre-determined resistance. It does take
3 drive cycles to clear the MIL after lightning it up.

                Later,

                        Russ Selkirk

--
'96 Black Impala SS