Re: Superchargers vs nitrous

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 14:28:27 EST

Jon -

Weren't you talking about trying to find someone that made a turbo that
might fit the truck ?

What about finding two Garrett turbos from an old Shelby in a yard and
working them out ?

I strain to think of how this would work with the damn computer !

Someone has done it somewhere , I'm sure .

I had a 1986 Shelby Charger and that car would whip most things it came
across , even with 135K and blow-by from hell !

At 01:07 PM 12/7/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Jack Hilton III wrote:
>> >The Nazi's used Nitrous quite successfully in the Luftwaffe.
>> >

>> On their planes or were they inhailing it the whole time ?
>>

> A little from column A, a little from column B... ;-)
>

> Both the Axis and the Allies used nitrous quite successfully in
>their aircraft, mostly for high altitude operation. The higher
>you go, the less dense the air is, and the engine starts to
>run really rich. Nitrous Oxide was a way to maintain a nice
>dense oxygen content. There were some aircraft that would run
>off nitrous for a half an hour at a time! Today, turbochargers
>are used instead, although nitrous is still used occasionally.
>There is a Formula One racer (which uses nitrous) sponsored by
>Shell named Pushy Galore that was purpose built to break 5 specific
>records (mostly time to climb). (It has broken all 5 records, and
>was retired this year.)
>
> Speaking of WWII and nitrous, an interesting fact is that
>its benefits to aircraft engines were discovered and developed
>independently by both the Nazis and the British. (It was
>considered top secret and both sides were careful to keep the
>info to themselves...)
>
> Uhhh, Dak content... Nitrous has been a viable way to increase
>horsepower for years and years, and if I would spend more time
>working and less time writing messages like this one, maybe I'd
>be able to afford a system for my Dak by now... ;-)
>
> -Jon-

> | Jon Steiger * AOPA, DoD, EAA, MP Race Team, NMA, SPA, USUA * RP-SEL |
> | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.58@93.55), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |
> `--------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'

Jack Hilton

HEMI@charter.net