Re: Superchargers vs nitrous

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 17:11:31 EST

Hey Jon -

Here at the cable company , there is an old 89 RC Dak out back that has
been sitting there forever and a day . It is a 2.5 with 90K miles or so .

When I used to have my 1994 4-cylinder Dak , I often thought about trying
to simply bolt the entire head/intake/turbo/exhaust system from a 2.2 on
the thing (they are basically the same motor) . I would still love to try
this one day, but it will have to be a day when I have a whole lotta money
AND an equal amount of Time !

Now , I had also thought about a turbo on the old 66 Dart with a Slant
Six.....and I HAVE seen that done before .

At 03:14 PM 12/7/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Jack Hilton III wrote:
>
>> Jon -
>>
>> Weren't you talking about trying to find someone that made a turbo that
>> might fit the truck ?
>
> Yep!
>

>> What about finding two Garrett turbos from an old Shelby in a yard and
>> working them out ?
>>
>> I strain to think of how this would work with the damn computer !
>

> Yep, I'm not sure either, though I suspect it wouldn't complain any
>more than with a supercharger. ? The setup to try it on might be
>a carbeurated 360 or 380 crate motor... (Or maybe a street motor
>with an M1 and a carb...)
>

>> Someone has done it somewhere , I'm sure .
>

> If I remember right, I believe our very own Gene in Houston has done
>this. Gene?
>

> I'd love to try this. If I ever get enough money for another Dak,
>I probably *will* give it a try. I don't want to conduct an experiment
>of this magnatude with my daily driver though...
>
> One of these days, I'd like to get an old (cheap) 2WD RC Dakota to
>use for dragstrip duty. (though I'd like to keep it street legal, if
>at all possible) A beefy rearend and tranny, a 360 or maybe a 440
>or (dreaming now...) a HEMI with a couple of 2.2L turbos, an intercooler,
>and a 150-200hp shot of nitrous... Look out Dahrl!! ;-)
>
> -Jon-

> | Jon Steiger * AOPA, DoD, EAA, MP Race Team, NMA, SPA, USUA * RP-SEL |
> | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.58@93.55), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |
> `--------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/ ---'

Jack Hilton

HEMI@charter.net