RE: Nitrous in W.W.II aircraft

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Mon Dec 07 1998 - 22:31:10 EST

My point is that they didn't use nitrous in aircraft. One of the most common
engines was the Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp.

The Double Wasp
 The Twin Wasp was followed by the Double Wasp, an 18-cylinder twin-row
radial with 2,800 cubic inches of displacement. The Double Wasp produced
more than one horsepower per cubic inch displacement with water injection
and turbosupercharging. It became the backbone of the American fighter
fleet, powering the Grumman F6F Hellcat, the Vought F4U Corsair, and
Republic's P-47 Thunderbolt. (borrowed from the Pratt & Whitney History
page)

Allied Aircraft either used supercharging and later turbosupercharging (One
or Two speed gear-driven supercharger and exhaust-driven turbocharger). The
Axis powers mainly used water/methanol injection (Germany did produce a
couple of engines using supercharging) to get to altitude or for a quick
burst of speed.

Nitrous would have been a cool thing to use. Slight problem... Ever see an
engine bust a mount? under n2o? It makes a real nasty mess under the hood
provided it didn't go through the hood! Imagine this... You're tooling along
in your P-47 Jug and spot a group of Me-109's just below you , and you punch
your n2o. Before you can react to what is happening, your plane's wings are
ripped off due to the vast amounts of torgue delivered by the engine, or you
can barrel-roll,stall,spin,crash,and burn... Just my 2 cents...

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd