Re: Superchargers vs nitrous

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Tue Dec 08 1998 - 01:38:01 EST

>> What about finding two Garrett turbos from an old Shelby in a yard and
>> working them out ?
>>
>> I strain to think of how this would work with the damn computer !
>

> Yep, I'm not sure either, though I suspect it wouldn't complain any
>more than with a supercharger. ? The setup to try it on might be
>a carbeurated 360 or 380 crate motor... (Or maybe a street motor
>with an M1 and a carb...)

Unfortunately, I don't think it's that simple... the turbo(s) much be
closely matched to the engine, or you will run out of flow, overboost, or
have some horrendous turbo lag... I agree that turbos would really make the
engine scream, but there's some real engineering that has to be done... If I
find it again, I remember seeing a site a long time ago that carried some
equations for figuring the turbo variables (wastegate size, nozzle size,
housing size, etc) If I find it again, I'll post some info.

Gary Shook