[Fwd: LSD Axels]

From: Alan Short (ashort@flash.net)
Date: Wed Dec 09 1998 - 13:44:22 EST

"Lockers" in the 4wd arena are usually an air actuated axle lock,
limited slip becomes no slip(POSI) when it's engaged. If the axles were
always locked, they would wear the gears and tires out on hard pavement,
mostly during turns. Thats why 4wds have limited slip axles for the
street and usually, but not always, some sort of locker for off road.
Alan S.

attached mail follows:

Dumb question time. I have 97 v6 4x4 with the LSD axels. I keep hearing
talk of "lockers". What is the difference between limited slip and
lockers. The reason I as is because when I've had my dak on loose ground,
there is no "limited slip" about it, all four seem locked together with no
slip at all.