Re: LSD Axels

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Wed Dec 09 1998 - 20:15:05 EST

Without getting into the nitty gritty, here's the scoop...

Limited slip differentials use clutch packs to transfer torque to the wheel
with more traction. If you have the factory option it only applies to the rear
differential... Your front differential is a standard or "open" diff.

With lockers there is no transfer of torque back and forth between the
wheels on a given axle. An equal amount of torque is provided to both wheels on
an axle all the time when engaged. There are a couple of different
flavors/manufacturers for lockers such as, ARB air lockers, Detroit lockers, and
Powertrax Lock-Rights.

Bottom line is that lockers provide a more reliable delivery of traction in
extreme conditions. With the exception of air lockers, the drawback is highway
operation of your truck were the lockers need to disengage to allow the inside
and outside wheels to spin at different speeds... From what I understand this
is either an "iffy" or clunky proposition with the current generation of geared
lockers.

Hope this helps.

T.