6x4.5 bolt pattern swap

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 17:58:50 EST

> I talked to him about this a while ago, back when we did that DML
>group buy on some fiberglass hoods.
>
> He did indeed change everything out. I don't recall the specifics
>now, but he said the fronts were really easy; you can go out to Pep
>Boys and get the parts you need to convert to 5 lug; he said the
>rears were a lot more difficult.*
>
> * - (I could be wrong; he MAY have said the rears were easy and the
> fronts were difficult.) Gee, this is a helpful message... :-)
>
> I think he has an 8 3/4 rearend, so he might have just changed the
>whole she-bang in the rear...
>
> -Jon-

I would guess (don't know for sure) that the rears are the same width on
the GEN I Dak as the Gen II . If so , the easiest way would be to either
swap out the earlier rear or just the axles from a GEN I Dak .

More likely the whole suspension was probably changed between the two and
you can't do it that way .

I sure would like to sit down with a Chrysler rep and ask him to give a
straight answer as to why they did that . I can see no redeeming value to
making the Dak a 6-bolt , and an odd one at that . If it was that great of
an idea , they would have done it on the Ram too (better not give em any
ideas . I personally believe that it was so that you could only get your
wheels from the factory or the dealer .

Can anyone elaborate on this ?

W . Jack Hilton III

HEMI@charter.net