Re: couldnt get new engine started

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 13 1998 - 02:17:08 EST

At 12:30 AM 12/13/98 -0500, you wrote:

>> Not me. But my heater core took a crap today, again!!!!!!!!! This time its
>> out of warranty. Any ideas guys??? Think is dumping coolant on my
>carpet. I
>> am gonna tear it apart tomorrow, dash and all. See if I can fix it. If
not,
>> looks like my truck is going on one of the early Mopar drag car heater
delete
>> speed secret diets!!!! I dont want to know how much this is gonna cost!!!!
>>
>> Brad
>>
>Brad,
>
>Obviously it is winter now, but I have seen some guys with valves put into
>their heater core lines so that in the months they dont use it, they can
>get the water out of it and keep it out so it wont rust as much. My
>buddys stang just pulled that trick (water world) and so we fabricated a
>heater block using two sticks and 2 hose clamps. Works beautifully. And
>yes, I am a mechanical engineer, as you can tell from my high level of
>design and ingenuity! (Senior no doubt)

   I don't really know anything about this, so maybe my concern is a
non-issue, but it seems to me that you'd want to have it either completely
full or completely empty... If you drained it, wouldn't that still leave
moisture in there which would be even worse than if it were full because
there is more exposure to oxygen?

   Also, would an anti-rust additive be of some type help here?

                                               -Jon-