Re: Electric Fan(HELP!)

From: William Blount Arthur (m990198@nadn.navy.mil)
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 02:02:04 EST

Listen, the only time you even need the fan is when you are sitting at a
light for over 45 seconds. Moving over 15 mph provides enough wind to
cool the radiator. So, unless your area is hotter than eastern NC (not
many places are mind you) and unless you like sitting in hot traffic with
the AC on for long periods of time, I say get the fan. I have never had
it get over 200 deg even in the summer, and the truck was made to run at
205 deg before I put the cooler thermostat in it. All you do is screw the
old one off and mount the new one like you said. It is a 30 minute job.
It really helped because power is a engines ability to rev out.
Rotational mass slows down the rotational acceleration, kind of like how
adding a load of wood slows down your truck. When you take of the old
one, you remove a good 25 lbs of rotational mass and replace it with
Nothing, thats what the engine sees anyways. It really makes a noticable
difference. A lot of 4 bangers have this because a fan would kill their
power. Its free so I guess you might as well. Look in Jegs for the perma
cool fans and get the one with the highest cfm. That is what I did. I
left the stock shroud on and I think that is the way to go. Good luck!

Bill
'97 SS/T