RE:Tranny Cooler

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 11:20:08 EST

   Um, these are nothing new. There are several variations of them. Some use
electric pumps to move the fluid around to the cooling radiator, others
actually have little pumps that sit in some transmissions being run off of the
gears and shafts, but those are usually custom built tranny's or in big-rigs.
I've even heard of a "convection" cooler that bolted to the bottom of a tranny
and used a heat sink and a "wind" turned pump to bring fluid into it and back
up into the transmission. You name it, there's a gimmick for it. Only folks
that haul really heavy loads should even look into a manual transmission oil
cooler.
   Shortly after my father switched to synthetic's the cooler broke a line and
he pulled the whole system out of the truck, feeling that the synthetic's can
handle the intense temps. They've done okay so far, coming out of the tranny
each time he has to fix the darn thing, looking totally clean an fluid: no
varnish or wear to speak of on the gears besides that caused by the nut
backing off of the mainshaft and letting 5th free-float.

Shaun H.