RE:NV 3500/4500

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 11:36:26 EST

   It may very well be "The Tranny" in a 4x4, I couldn't comment on that. It
may handle the jerks and yanks of racing and 4x4'ing better than it handles
long hauls at high temps with heavy loads. The application is very different
from what I'm referencing.
   This problem is well known by Chrysler and they have even introduced a "New
& Improved" lock nut for the 5th gear but require a dealer to put it on, buy a
new mainshaft, a new 5th gear and use "loctite" on all the threads. This puts
the bill at another $1.1K for something that's unproven in field tests under
load. He said "Let 'em test it on someone elses truck, I'll spend the extra
$900 and get the gear splitter put on so that the tranny can stay in 4th and
the splitter will act as the towing 'overdrive'". And when he's empty and
heading home he can put it in 5th and overdrive to fly home. It made sense to
me. I just can't believe CC didn't just force NV to stop "milling down" the
splines so that 5th doesn't wear the little bit left down...
   Remember, his bitch isn't with 1-4th... it's only with 5th gear. Most 4x4
guys don't 4x4 in 5th, drag racers don't race in 5th... Haulers have to haul
in 5th or they get crappy mileage and go very slow... Time is money and
federal law says you can only drive so many hours in the day. The further you
drive the quicker you're done and on to the next job, therefore the more money
you make.

Shaun H.